Official Regifting Party Rules
Love the idea of recycling gifts? Why not host a party rampant with regifting?
Similar to a White Elephant Gift Exchange or Yankee Swap, your guests will bring and leave with one gift each. The difference is that this party is paradise for regifters—no first time gifts are allowed.
Here’s how to play:
- Each guest brings one wrapped regift.
- Next, all guests draw a number.
- The regifter with the lowest number chooses a wrapped regift and opens it for everyone to see.
- Here’s where things get interesting. The person with the next lowest number can either take the opened regift or select a “new” wrapped regift. If they choose a “new” regift, they must open it for all to see.
- This trend goes on for some time (depending on how many guests you have). Each subsequent person is allowed to either unwrap a “new” regift or take any of the regifts already opened.
- If a regift is taken from someone, that person gets to immediately choose another “new” gift to open or they can get revenge by stealing someone else’s gift.
- When all the regifts have been opened, the person with the lowest number gets to trade with anyone or keep the regularly rejected regift they ended up with. It’s only fair.
- Finally, you accept much praise and admiration for hosting such a unique, fun, budget-friendly party.
On the off chance that you don’t love what you end up with, you can always regift to charity.